On July 6th, 1971 Cranbrook’s historic post office was demolished after 58 years standing as an architectural highlight on Baker Street. This July, 50 years later, we invite local historian and Cranbrookian, Jim Cameron, to share the history of the 1913 post office and how its demolition came to be. Jim Cameron will be presenting his talk in our historic Royal Alexandra Hall, the first in-person public program that we will be hosting following the province’s reopening.
An Introduction to the Post Office History: In 1908, the dominion government announced the purchase of three vacant city lots on the corner of Baker Street and Hanson Avenue, to serve as the site of a Dominion Post Office and Customs building. The plans for the structure gained immediate approval among the people Cranbrook, not least for its handsome appearance but also for its importance in the establishment of the city as a district centre. The Post Office, perhaps the most admired and photographed building in Cranbrook over the years, opened in 1913, and served the city well until a warm July day in 1971, when, in a great cloud of dust and disbelief, it completely disappeared.